Wednesday, September 26, 2018

One example of why it’s complicated to report sex crimes

I am someone who has been involved in assisting survivors of sex crimes since 1985.  I can’t even begin to tell you how many survivors I assisted in making police reports, let alone how many times early in my career I testified as an expert witness in cases involving children.  Over the years I’ve also presented educational seminars internationally on the topic of sexual abuse/assault.

Even with all of my education and knowledge, I was sexually assaulted by rabbi/Dr. Jack Nusan Porter back in 2009.  I’m still in shock that it took me 33 days to make a police report.  The reason why it took me so long was the fact that the offender was my rabbis older brother.

I knew if I made a report I would have a great deal to loose that I worked so long to create.  I finally felt I had no other option, since after disclosing to my rabbi what occurred, he was unwilling to insure his older brother would get help.  I also felt as if he was blaming me for the assault.

After I made the report, I was told by my rabbi if I didn’t withdraw it, I would no longer be welcome in his home, synagogue or the community I lived.

A few days later I spoke to a woman I had known for 20 years who ran another non-profit organization.  While on the phone I disclosed to her what happened, without mentioning Porter’s name.  

She stopped me mid sentence and asked me if the offenders name was Jack Nusan Porter.  I was left speechless. I forgot that she also resided in the Boston area.  She continued on by sharing that 35 years earlier Jack Nusan Porter had done the same thing to her that he did to me.  

During the phone call she shared that the reason Porter was a professor at three different universities, was because he had a long history of assaulting women.  After each occurrence the women would report the assaults to the universities.  No police reports were made, and the universities would handle the allegations internally.  After allegations were made he would be suspended from the university for a time period, so Porter would move on to the next institution until his suspension expired.  

After hearing this, I knew I couldn’t cave into the peer pressure, yet by doing so made it dangerous for me to remain in Baltimore. 

If you want to know why so many women and me don’t report, is because they have way much more to loose then gain.




No comments:

Post a Comment